Shhhh. I add a super secret ingredient to make this dip super fit!
I love making healthy meals, healthy snacks and even healthy chips and dip. My family and I love guacamole, but it can be very high in fat without protein. Here is a wonderful way to increase the nutritional value and flavor, too! Enjoy!
- 2 Avocados
- 3/4 lb. Asparagus (sssshhhh. Our secret)
- 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt
- 2 Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Garlic minced
- 1/2 cup Onion diced
- 1/2 cup Cilantro minced
- 1 Tbs. Lime juice
- 2 serrano peppers (optional: we like it spicy!)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Warm Corn Tortillas
- Baked Tortilla Chips
- Rinse and trim off ends of asparagus. Steam in steamer or in microwave oven. Put in microwave safe bowl with 1 Tbs. water, cover and heat on high for 2-3 minutes until soft, but still bright green (not dark green. Don’t over cook.) Scoop avocado and put in blender with everything except cilantro, which I put in last so it doesn’t get crushed. Fold in Greek Yogurt. Blend. Taste if it needs salt or pepper.
- As a busy Fit Mom, I buy pre-minced garlic and onion and keep in air tight containers.
- I keep frozen asparagus on hand for those busy times when I don’t have time to get fresh. If I get fresh, it’s organic.
- The healthiest “chip” option is warm corn tortillas or baked chips. No flour tortillas or fried chips. Flour tortillas are very high in sodium and calories.
- At Mexican restaurants, I will automatically ask for steamed corn tortillas or sliced cucumbers for the crunch, to help me from eating a whole basket of fried chips without even noticing! Yikes!
- Don’t automatically add salt to any foods. Taste if it needs it first.