I love guacamole, but it can be very high in fat without protein. Here is a wonderful way to increase the nutritional value and flavor, too! Enjoy!
- 2 Avocados
- 3/4 lb. Asparagus (sssshhhh. Our secret)
- 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt
- 2 Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Garlic minced
- 1/2 cup Onion diced
- 1/2 cup Cilantro minced
- 1 Tbs. Lime juice
- 2 serrano peppers (optional: we like it spicy!)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Warm Corn Tortillas
- Baked Tortilla Chips or chips with some nutritional benefit such as the chips made with chia seeds, or black bean
- Rinse and trim off ends of asparagus. Steam in steamer or in microwave oven. Put in microwave safe bowl with 1 Tbs. water, cover and heat on high for 2-3 minutes until soft, but still bright green (not dark green. Don't over cook.) Scoop avocado and put in blender with everything except cilantro, which I put in last so it doesn't get crushed. Fold in Greek Yogurt. Blend. Taste if it needs salt or pepper.
- As a busy Fit Mom, I buy pre-minced garlic and onion and keep in air tight containers.
- I keep frozen asparagus on hand for those busy times when I don't have time to get fresh. If I get fresh, it's organic.
- The healthiest "chip" option is warm corn tortillas or baked chips. No flour tortillas or fried chips. Flour tortillas are very high in sodium and calories.
- At Mexican restaurants, I will automatically ask for steamed corn tortillas or sliced cucumbers for the crunch, to help me from eating a whole basket of fried chips without even noticing! Yikes!
- Don't automatically add salt to any foods. Taste if it needs it first.
If you like guac, tacos, tostadas...you might try my So Easy Taco Casserole recipe, it is so easy, kids can make it. And it saves well to reheat for busy days.
1 thought on “Guac on Steriods”
Pingback: Tight Body Taco Soup + 7 Healthy Mexican Food Recipes | fitmomtv