Award-Winning Chili Recipe
High in Protein and Flavor. Super Easy.
Make on the Stove OR in the Crock-Pot
I make this ALL of the time. My family LOVES this! It’s so healthy, high in protein, lots of flavors, super easy, and great for times you need to make food ahead of time such as the Super Bowl. This easy healthy recipe can be made on the stove OR in the slow cooker/crockpot.
PS I love using the slow cooker! It’s like the chef is cooking when I come home! The house smells so good and the food is tender. Come home to dinner already done and ready for your family. High in protein. Simple and easy. Terrific for leftovers.
I love chili especially when it’s made with more protein and fresh toppings. Sundays are Ohana / family day. I usually make a large pot of healthy food that we can enjoy all day. It’s relaxing since it’s ready all day and we can eat when we’re hungry. This recipe is a favorite. I make it all of the time, it’s great for Game Day or any day!
Why this recipe is so wonderful:
- It’s SUPER Simple
- I usually have everything already – no going to the grocery store
- Fast! 15-minute prep
- Loaded with Protein (plant-based or not)
- Saves well for easy reheat on busy days
- Ready whenever you are, the longer it cooks, the tastier it gets!
- Perfect for parties or families when people arrive at different times
- It’s a complete meal or a hearty dip
- So easy, teens can do this! Great for college dorms too
- Customize it, add your favorite beans
- Serve with side salad and cornbread
- Great to make early and enjoy all-day
- Perfect game day football food for Super Bowl
- Add your healthy toppings: Greek yogurt instead of sour cream, avo, organic green onions, regular or vegan cheese!
Why did I have a maid, a personal chef, and assistant PRE KIDS? I think I did it backward! When I had my first child I said “No one but me will ever cook or take care of her 🙂 ” Yes I am a helicopter mom and proud of it!
- 1 container extra lean ground turkey or extra lean beef (UPDATE Sept 2020: You can make this plant-based by omitting the turkey or beef & adding 1-2 cans beans)
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/4 small onion diced
- 1 large can diced tomatoes
- 1 can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. red chili flakes optional
- Beer: Optional
- Stove Top: Brown onion in vegetable oil. Add ground meat, brown and drain excess oil. Add beans, tomatoes, and spices. Stir. Simmer for 20 minutes or longer.
- Slow Cooker: Brown onion in vegetable oil. Add ground meat, brown and drain excess oil. Spray a slow cooker with non-stick spray or use bag liner for easier cleanup. Add browned meat and all other ingredients. Stir gently to incorporate ingredients, trying not to crush the beans. Cook for approx. 5-6 hours on low, or 4 hours on high. The longer the chili cooks, the better it will taste!
- Serve with a green salad, cornbread, chopped organic green onions, avocado, and protein rich, Greek Yogurt instead of fattening sour cream.
- Tip: put leftovers into individual-sized containers for an easy mini-meal! I also serve this as a dip on top of protein-rich Greek Yogurt with chips