- 4 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup apple sauce, butter or margarine, softened in microwave or stove
- 1/2 cup organic honey
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar (or 50% the amount of stevia)
- 1 1/2 cups any nuts: almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, pecans, flax seeds - all seeds taste great in this!
- 1/2 cup chocolate or chocolate chips. I like the Trader Joe's 70% dark chocolate bar chopped up in nut chopper -the supersize bar is the best value, lasts forever and it's good to have in an "emergency" and, no guilt:good for you antioxidants!
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Spray 9x13 inch pan with non stick spray. In a large mixing bowl sift together the oats, flour, baking soda. Melt butter or margarine in microwave and add vanilla, honey and brown sugar. Stir in the 2 cups assorted chocolate chips, raisins, nuts etc.
Kids love to do this part: Using a large piece of wax paper, lightly press mixture into the prepared pan. Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes then cut into bars. Let bars cool completely in pan before removing or serving.
Tip: package individually for "grab n go" snacks.