Last week, I met a friend for lunch. We went to a beautiful farmhouse style restaurant, & their specialty side dish was the Cauliflower Steak.
It was so delicious, & so healthy. My main dish was the Seared Ahi Tuna sandwich with Asian Slaw, we each had a Cauliflower Steak.
What does it taste like? Nutty roasted flavor, slightly crunchy but moist & tender on the inside. I decided to try and make it tonight. It was delish, so easy and cost much less than the $20 they charged. Eek!
- 1 large head cauliflower, rinsed, leaves removed, sliced lengthwise through the core into 4 ‘steaks’
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- sprinkle of course salt & ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes, or more if you like it with more heat (I do!)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Place cauliflower steaks on the prepared baking sheet.
- Whisk olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper together in a bowl. Brush 1/2 of the olive oil mixture over the tops of the cauliflower steaks. (My best selling Bamboo Cut & Serve Fit Kitchen Boards are back in stock here
- Roast cauliflower st
- eaks in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, until golden. Gently turn over each steak and brush with remaining olive oil mixture. Continue roasting until tender and golden, 15 to 20 minutes more. (Because every oven varies, check it often 🙂
Cauliflower | Super Food
Cauliflower is a SUPER FOOD. It is as good a source of fiber and vitamins, loaded with antioxidants, may help strengthen bones, boost the cardiovascular system, and prevent cancer. It’s a delicious low carb alternative to beans & grains. It’s high in choline, which many are deficient in. Choline supports a healthy metabolism. Cauliflower contains sulforaphane which has been connected with diabetes and cancer prevention. According to some studies, sulforaphane may also have the potential to stop cancer growth by destroying cells that are already damaged. (1,2,3) Finally, animal studies suggest that sulforaphane may also play a role in diabetes prevention and reducing the risk of diabetes-induced complications, such as kidney disease. (4) There are 3 grams of fiber in one cup of cauliflower, which is 10% of your daily needs. Fiber is important because it feeds the healthy bacteria in your gut that help reduce inflammation and promote digestive health. (5,6)
Many popular foods are made using Cauliflower including Cauliflower Pizza Crust, Hummus, Mashed Potatoes & Potato Salad, Mac & Cheese
- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25944116. 2. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4432495/. 3. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2579766/ 4. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4637098/ 5. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3705355/ 6. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24876314