This recipe was taught to me by Fit Mom TV guest Chef, Eldon Pico, winner of the iron chef competition and executive chef for the Marriott Hotel chain. I love it and make this for every holiday meal.
- 4 Cups +/- fresh, raw, organic cranberries
- juice of 1 organic orange
- 1 wedge of fresh organic orange
- 1 red organic pear, cored and sliced
- 1 Tbs. chopped organic mint
- 1 Tbs. chopped organic cilantro
- 1 Cup organic mandarin orange segments
- Start with about 1/4 cup stevia, to taste – ?or 1/2 agave nectar optional
- Rinse cranberries. Toss out any that are shriveled or going bad. Pick off any stems that may be hanging on. Put all ingredients into a sauce pan on medium heat. Cook gently, stirring occasionally. You may need to add more water as the sauce thickens. Add more stevia to sweeten to your liking. Or add agave nectar instead of sugar (which does not impact blood sugar and is a popular low glycemic sweetener that is natural, too.
- Let Cranberry Mixture cool and add herbs and orange segments. Mix with ease to keep the segments whole.
- Stevia can taste bitter, especially if too much is used to sweeten. Stevia is twice as sweet as sugar. The agave is a nice and natural alternative.