This is such an easy recipe. That is only one of the reasons why I love it. Because the chicken is slow cooked, it is very juicy and tender. The chicken is cooked clean, meaning no added oils or fat. Just pure white meat chicken. Plus, when you come home, the house smells so good, as if the "chef" has been cooking all day! My kids love it too! It's fun to make a taco bar and we all take turns filling our tacos with the healthy juicy tomatoes, crunchy lettuce, creamy avocado, tender chicken. The textures are wonderful.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 container fresh salsa or 1 large jar salsa
- whole wheat tortillas
- fat free black beans or fat free re fried beans
- 1/2 cup non fat milk
- 1 cup chopped romaine, cabbage or green leaf lettuce. I'll even use spinach or kale chopped finely.
- 1-2 chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 bunch chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 ripe avocado
- non fat sour cream
- Optional: sliced radishes, jicama, bell peppers
- SUPER HEALTHY OPTIONS: Replace the tortillas with crisp lettuce. Fill the lettuce leaves with the chicken - a Lettuce Taco!
Rinse chicken breasts and put in crock pot. Add salsa. Add enough water to cover chicken breasts. Cook on high 5-6 hours stirring occasionally if you are home. If not, don't worry about it. Shred the chicken with 2 forks, it will pull apart very easily, be really juicy and tender. Stir chicken to cover with the juices and salsa. Turn to low and prepare the remaining ingredients.
Chop tomatoes, parsley, lettuce, avocado. Warm black and/or refried black beans in saucepan and stir in milk to make creamy. Warm tortillas. Fill tortillas with the fillings.