KIANA’S ULTIMATE GUIDE TO LIVING FIT FOR 2020
My Personal Tips for Living the Flex Appeal Lifestyle
Aloha Flex Appealers! I’ve been regularly lifting weights since I was 16 years old. Through the decades I have developed proven methods to live the fitness way of life on a regular basis. I hope that my tips will help you live the fitness lifestyle too!
- Find your power passion. “The best workout is one that you do.” It may look great and feel good to write on the calendar: GYM / MTWF, but if you aren’t passionate about the gym, not looking forward to it, it will be a constant struggle to train consistently. To make fitness your way of life, exercise must be a regular part of your day, like brushing your teeth. Find a sport or activity you genuinely enjoy: fitness classes, cycling, swimming, running, beach volleyball, tennis, kickboxing, lifting weights. If you love a sport or specific activity, you WILL do it often. I love tennis, and of course, weight lifting. I also enjoy riding bikes, skating, jogging, skiing, snowboarding, racquetball, volleyball, stand up paddleboarding, power walking, and even riding the scooters with my kids.
- Know your energy. Our energy level fluctuates regularly. You must be in tune with your own energy levels. For example, when I was pregnant with my daughters, I got tired very easily. I would do a 20-minute workout in the morning, another at lunch and another in the afternoon. Somedays, I wake up so hyper and do an hour of heavyweights and then an hour on the beach. On days that I have low energy (and am not pregnant lol) I will do yoga, power walk or light weights / high reps. Know your energy.
- Surround yourself with like-minded people who support you. Stay far away from energy vampires who leave you feeling drained. We all have certain friends (or family members) who energize you or bring you down. For fitness purposes and motivation, stick with the upbeat people who challenge you to be your best and give you that nudge when you need it. Having similarities in workouts, goals, food, etc. makes it more fun and much easier to stick to your fitness program.
- Put on your workout clothes when you wake up. Don’t take them off until you’ve trained. I have done this my entire life. I wear fitness clothes 99% of the time. I will buy inexpensive basics such as essential tanks and shirts and also invest in high quality, >lux workout wear< that I can comfortably wear from 6 am to midnight, which I have done a zillion times. >Shop women’s tanks and jackets here<
- Working out 1st thing in the mornings sets the fitness feeling & healthy tone for the day. I always do this. I very rarely train in the afternoon or evening. Training early in the day prevents something from coming up and preventing me from “my time.” This is a personal choice, depending upon your energy levels and work schedule. For me, I have the most energy and am most productive first thing in the morning. Training early in the day, empowers me, I am productive early in the day and the fitness feeling transcends the entire day.
- Schedule fitness dates into your calendar. You’re more likely to train if you know someone will be meeting you. I lead workouts in our beautiful beach community MWF 9 am for fit moms and 5 pm for couples. I don’t need to teach, but I genuinely enjoy helping others on a personal level, and it is always one of the highlights of my day. Besides, I record the classes and training sessions and upload them to my KIANAFIT Website so Members worldwide can enjoy the workouts too.
- Think about your health issues, about your loved ones, your family, and how you want to be there for them.
- Eat fit. I have eaten healthfully my entire life. Ask any fitness person, bodybuilder or athlete, and the meal basics are similar: Protein: clean and lean protein; fish, lean steak, chicken, eggs. Complex carbs: brown rice, sweet potatoes. Veggies: Loads of organic, green leafy vegetables and veggies of all colors. >Get my Fit Cook Book and Grocery Guides here<
- Drink of choice: WATER. WATER. WATER. >Shop my infusion bottles and drink bottles here<
- Master the Mini Meals. People are always surprised how often and how much I eat. I eat 6 Mini Meals every day and do a sleeping fast. M1-M6. Make sure 99.9% of the foods you put into your mouth have nutritional value, NOT empty calories. Find what works for YOU. For me, I always eat breakfast. My biggest meal is breakfast and the smallest is dinner. I do a sleeping fast where I don’t eat anything appx. 8 pm-8 am. Fasting is easy since I’m asleep 11-6.
- Create a Home Gym. It doesn’t have to be elaborate. Everyone should have some space for hand weights and a bench. Make a designated space for you to train at home. Leave it out, it shouldn’t be something to take out and put away. Make it easy to get in a workout in the convenience and privacy of your own home. >Shop curated equipment here<
- What to do if you don’t feel like working out? We all have days that we aren’t feeling our best. What do you do if that is a training day? If you want to live the fitness lifestyle, you a) do it anyway or b) do a modified workout or c) skip a day and hit it harder the next day. Answer? all of the above. a) do it anyway: this usually works for me because the first rep gets me going, and before I know it, I’ve done the whole workout. b) do a modified workout. This is a good option, I like doing the Neglected Body Parts workout where you train muscle groups you don’t usually train: calves, forearms, grip strength, etc. c) skip a day and hit it harder the next day. This works great if you might be overtraining. Taking a rest day off and training harder the next day often results in a stronger lift the following day. The trick is to make sure you train the next day!
- Get addicted to the positive vibes. Think about how productive, accomplished and on top of the world you always feel after you workout
- Surround yourself with like-minded, supportive people who see your vision and want you to be fit. Steer clear of the friends who live on junk food, parties, no sleep. Surround yourself with people who do fitness challenges, eat well, sleep well, live well.
- Read magazines, blogs, social media posts about various fitness styles and gear. It’s motivating to see others on their fitness journey.
- Think about how you’re proving the haters and the doubters wrong. “Don’t get mad. Get fit.”
- Do it for the selfies. Your workout doesn’t count if you don’t post it on social media and hashtag #kianafit
Surround yourself with like-minded people who support you. Stay far away from energy vampires who leave you feeling drained.Kiana Tom
Don’t get mad. Get fit.Kiana
Do it for the selfies. Your workout doesn’t count if you don’t post it on social media and hashtag #kianafit
Star of Kiana’s Flex Appeal
Fitness Expert, TV Host, Author, Actress, Mom
Fit Lifestyles + Family
“Best in Fitness!” USA Today
“Fitness Queen!” EXTRA
PS I am now on Poshmark! You can shop my closet including these sexy black leather gladiator high heels I’m wearing in the photo above.
CLICK HERE TO GO TO MY POSHMARK. User: KIANATOM