I LOVE HEARTY SOUP. I ALWAYS ADD EXTRA PROTEIN. JUST SPOON INTO A MUG, CRUSH ORGANIC BLUE CHIPS ON TOP AND SIP.
Hi Fit Moms! I had to share this new recipe with you~We just got back from a week in Mexico. We love Mexican food and the beautiful beaches. So being the first day back, it's super busy. Today I got home from the gym, from a business meeting, errands and then picked up the kids from school. I didn't feel like going to the market. It has been very cold here in Los Angeles, CA about 40 degrees. That is freezing to a Hawaiian native. I thought that a nice, healthy, hearty, hot soup would be perfect.
In my household, I plan special dinners every night. My husband and daughters L-O-V-E Mexican food so every Tuesday is Taco Tuesday. For me, weekly tacos are a bit much so tonight I made Tortilla Soup for the very first time. It turned out AMAZING! I Fit Mom-ified it (of course) and wanted to share the recipe with you. It's super easy and tastes better than any I've had in a restaurant or in Mexico! Enjoy!
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounce) whole corn kernels
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces (or if you're pressed for time, buy a roasted chicken and cut the breast (no skin) or pre cooked sliced chicken breast - no msg)
- crushed tortilla chips
- sliced avocado
- shredded low fat cheddar or monterey jack cheese
- chopped green onions
- In a medium stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft. Stir in chili powder, oregano, tomatoes, broth, and water. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in corn, chiles, beans, cilantro, and chicken. Simmer for 10 minutes. Ladle soup into individual serving bowls, and top with crushed tortilla chips, avocado slices, cheese, and chopped green onion.