7 Ways to Get Back to Fitness
Kids are going back to school
What does that mean? If you're a Mom, you know exactly what that means. 🙂 I LOVE spending the summer with my kids home from school. But it is challenging to get my work done and make sure they have fun, constructive, healthy things to do all day, everyday 🙂
Such a wonderful, fun summer of beach, baseball games, barbecues, amusement parks, bicycle riding, running on the beach, making dinners with the kids, late breakfasts, spending time with Grandmas, sports camps, washing the dogs, arts & crafts, walking the dogs, painting, going on vacation, sunset appetizers and playing guitar and also....."I'm bored! What are we doing today, Mommy?"
I have to be honest, it's tough balancing my work and being a social planner for 2 kids. I constantly feel guilty as if they aren't doing something constructive, unique, summer worthy fun. But as we all know, Mom = always feeling guilty. I know Summer is a time when we often slack off from our workouts. I wanted to give you some simple tips to make fitness your regular way of life again 🙂
Here are 7 Simple Ways to Get Back Into Fitness
1. Workout 1st thing in the morning, as soon as you drop off your kids at school. Why? 99% of the time, if you go home first or run errands, you won't workout. Something always comes up to interfere with your workouts. Getting your workout in early on in the day helps you feel productive, raise your metabolism all day long, boosts energy and encourages healthy choices all day long. Seriously, put on your workout clothes as soon as you wake up and DO NOT take them off until you've finished your workout. Honestly, so many times I wear my active wear, baseball cap and jacket all day long, even after I've worked out in the morning.
2. Meal Planning: Plan at least 3 days of Meals in advance. I always look for fun family recipes such as Taco Tuesday with my Fit Tacos, Hot Lime Sauce and Guac on Steroids. I always make extra portions; container them and put them in the refrigerator so that I have easy grab and go lunch the next day. I love using the slow cooker for soups such as my Taco Soup and am proud to say that most of my Recipes are super easy clean up using foil lined pans & minimal pots. See my Fit Mom Recipes here • Fit Cooking Videos here • Kiana Recipes here on Kiana.com
3. Create your own Home Gym workout space: On Kiana's Flex Appeal ESPN, I created one of the most popular training segments, Home Gym Workouts. Everyone should have some sort of Home Gym. Whether it's just free weights and a mat; or complete weight stack / rack, stability balls, medicine balls, etc. Having equipment set up in your home makes it simple to do a 15 minutes workout during the day. It's perfect for busy moms. When my kids were little, I worked out while they napped. The benefits of exercise are cumulative, 15 minutes in the morning, 15 minutes at night = 30 minutes of exercise. Other benefits: you save time not driving to and from the gym. You save money by not paying high gym membership. You buy the equipment and it's yours to keep forever. At the gym, you are using germ filled equipment, at home - yours if clean(er). You can listen to whatever music you want, watch whatever tv show you want, wear what you want. No guys hitting on you. You can focus JUST ON YOU.
4. Substitute Unhealthy foods for Healthier Foods. Baby steps. During the day, replace that morning sugar filled, white carb donut or muffing with a protein shake or All Natural Whole Foods Kiana Bar, or poached eggs and avocado. By replacing one junky food with a healthier choice, you not only cut major calories, but you also feel more "in control" which in turn snowballs into more healthy choices 🙂
5. Workout with Me Online at Kiana's eGym: the premier virtual Gym. I host a series of live online fitness classes on MWF mornings. All fitness levels and all ages can do this! Follow along using free weights and your own body weight. Access the live stream wherever in the world you live, from any device. Get as fit as you want with our ever growing library of fitness videos including workouts ranging from 15-60 minutes, challenges, exercise tutorials, healthy recipes and tips. Simply log on and get fit! Details or Join Kiana's eGym here
6. Eat 2-3 hours. 3 Meals and 2-3 healthy snacks: Every meal and snack MUST include protein. By eating frequently, you keep your metabolism high, making your body a fat burning machine. Many people make the mistake of not eating often enough. They think they are doing the right thing but actually it's counter productive to losing weight. When you deprive yourself of food and go without eating for longer than normal periods of time, your metabolism literally slows down and your body goes into starvation mode to conserve calories because it doesn't know when it will get the food needed to survive.
Simple grab-and-go proteins:
- string cheese
- Greek yogurt
- trail mix
- protein shake
- Kiana Bars (13g protein, flax, organic almonds, cashews, gluten free oats...)
- hard boiled eggs
- handful of almonds
- peanut butter on multi grain crackers
- rice and black beans
7. Healthy Hydration. Studies show that most people don't drink enough water. Often when we think we're hungry, we're really just thirsty. I try to drink a glass of water right when I wake up, before every meal and snack, before bed. To make it easier to drink more water AND get extra nutrients in my body I love love love my Detox Infusion Bottles. They make it so fun and easy to increase the amount of water you drink. My friends, family, kids and clients all use these. They constantly SELL OUT in my online store. I sip water all day long to detoxify and hydrate my body. I don't drink sodas and straight juice is just too much sugar. But I do LOVE cool naturally flavored waters. This amazing bottle will hold the fruit and vegetables to infuse your water with delicious flavor and extra nutrients to detox your body with every sip. Can't get more natural than this!
+ Bonus Tip! Watch, Read, Learn. To really stay motivated and jump back into fitness, read magazines...watch television shows such as Kiana's Flex Appeal, Extreme Makeover, Exercises on Instagram, Fitness Challenges, YouTube Videos, Pinterest Fitness Challenges...anything that gets you motivated to be the fittest, healthiest YOU 🙂
BACK TO SCHOOL MEANS LET'S GET BACK TO FITNESS!