Los Angeles Dodgers / Team Photographer / Kiana’s Favorite Cuz (Cousin)
Since 1985, SooHoo has been the face behind the camera lens for the Dodgers, shooting everything from Steve Finley’s division-clinching home run in 2004 to everyday group photos of fans. Still, SooHoo’s contributions to sports photography do not end with the Dodgers. He’s covered the Lakers, Clippers, Kings, USC, UCLA, Rams, Raiders and Angels over the last three decades. He shoots as a contract photographer for the Auto Club Speedway and has covered a variety of prestigious sporting events such as World Series, the Super Bowl and BCS games.
“Because of my profession as a sports photographer, I rarely sit on the couch & bon bon up since I am usually at the Dodger games I would be watching on television.”
1. How often do you workout and what is your exercise of choice?I do not go to the gym to work out. Instead I play full court basketball two to three times a week. I make a point of stretching for 20-30 minutes before head to the court.
2. Many Dads find themselves on the couch with the remote and junk food. How do you motivate yourself to workout?
Because of my profession as a sports photographer, I rarely sit on the couch and bon bon up since I am usually at the games I would be watching on television.
I have taken to roasting raw almonds and mixing organic craisins and bagging them for my day of nibbles. When media food is heavy in meats, pastas and desserts, I need my nibbles.
I have two planned days of the week of playing basketball…Monday in San Pedro and Thursday in Chinatown. My third day of basketball would be Sunday when I can get it in after working at the stadium.
In season when I am on the road with the Dodgers, everything changes as I rarely hoop and usually eat mostly at the hotel where room service will prepare food to guests preference.
3. Do you exercise with your family: wife / kids? If so, what do you do?I do not exercise with the family as my kids view anything I want them to do (with or without me) as punishment.
4. Were you athletic growing up?
I grew up playing everything but loved playing basketball most.
5. What tips do you have for Dads who need to lose some weight?
Although Dads may need to lose weight, they might not want to. It has to come from within or when some mid life event occurs like a heart attack or stroke. However, all the working out in the world will mean nothing without changing eating habits.
6. Do you exercise to feel good, to look good, why?
I play ball because I love the physical and mental involved in it. I love working with teammates with the goal of making them look good. But mostly I love it because unlike conventional “working out,” time flies while getting good cardio without watching the clock on the treadmill,bike or stair climber of which I am a mental midget at.
7. What is your best feature and area that you want to improve upon most
My best feature is……I don’t have a best feature. I am just happy to be going along the path I have been on since the beginning of the year. I would love to improve my ability to get my kids to eat what I cook and eat.
Related Read: Dodgers to honor team photographer Jon SooHoo